Please visit our old archive site to access our older CFM factsheets, tools, and articles. Note we no longer can edit these archive pages and they may include out of date information
CfM works to encourage the voice of consumers in policy and decision making discussions. Below are a list of resources from a MANA 2015 presentation Changemakers Unite! How To Build Lasting, Effective Midwifery Coalitions: What Works and What Doesn't by CfM Board members Jeanette McCulloch and Nasima Pfaffl.
- Letters of support to committee chairs or other relevant governmental bodie
- Facts and information
- Fact Sheets
- Reviews: books, video, etc.
Statement on the Licensure of Certified Professional Midwives (CPM)
2015 Annual Meeting Report
Additionally, US MERA Legislative Committee is developing a consensus statement outlining principles for model midwifery legislation and regulation using the Delphi research process. The consensus statement will serve as a complementary document to the statement on legislative language.
- Acts as advisor
- Reviews proposed bill
- Travels to states to help lobby if asked.
- Helps craft handouts and FAQs for use with legislators (NARM has several general handouts, but many are crafted based on the current issues/needs in a specific state.)
- Offers a Legislative Workshop
- Principle support provided through regional NACPM chapter
- Available as a speaker at midwifery associations and other meetings
- Customized support for chapters working on regulatory issue
- Chapter Collaboration Calls where legislative issues can be discussed
- State Legislation and Policy webinar series
- Provide support for CPMs in states when federal action affects regulatory issues on the state level (For example, in collaboration with ACNM, NACPM reached out to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), asking for more specific and helpful guidance from CMS to the states about implementation of the birth center provisions in the Affordable Care Act.)
- An Overview of State Licensure for CPM
- Support and contact with state affiliates where bills are being introduced to provide guidance and advice on implementing US MERA language/agreement
- Help with conceptualization of bills and drafting languag
- Assistance and advice regarding state-level lobbyist
- Strategy and guidanc
- Data gathering and evidence suppor
- System to track information on bills and regulatory changes (last year tracked over 2000 bills and regulatory changes)
- System to have supporters contact state or federal legislators, which also allows for forwarding of emails and tracking
- Handouts and one-pagers, customized to the needs of the state.
- Evidence backup in the form of articles and studie
- Advice on strateg and testimony